Early Learning Coalition of the Emerald Coast


Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the Provider Phase I and Phase II ERA grants?
The Early Learning Coalition has received additional funding to support both contracted and non-contracted child care providers. These funds are intended to support providers that were open as of April 30, 2020 and to reopen providers that were closed on this date. Find the application for contracted providers here and the application for non-contracted providers here. You can also acccess a link to a sample W9 form here. Please direct additional questions and completed applications to eragrant@elc-ec.org for review.
Do I have to maintain ratios even if I’m a license exempt or informal provider not regulated by Department of Children and Families (DCF)?
Yes. All providers caring for School Readiness children must maintain DCF staff to child ratios at all times. For more information on staff to child ratio, please see the staff-to-child ratio, as established in Section 402.305(4) of Florida Statute by visiting the following link: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/
How will I know what my city or county requires as far as a Business Tax Certificate or License?

Please contact your city or county and ask what is required to operate a business within city/county limits. 

I only want to watch a few children. Do I really have to get liability insurance?

Yes. Liability insurance is a requirement of the School Readiness Provider Network Agreement. No agreements will be approved without evidence of liability insurance.  

How can I get paid for watching my relative’s children without going through all the training needed for a center or home?

An informal childcare provider can care for children from his or her own family as well as children from one other family. While the Department of Children and Families does not require an informal provider to complete training in order to provide care, however, the Early Learning Coalition of the Emerald Coast requires that an informal provider complete the 30–clock hour Family Child Care Training; 5-clock-hour Early Literacy and Language Development; and CPR and First Aid Training. 

If I want to open an afterschool program that only serves school age children, do I still need to complete training?

Programs that only serve school age children, such as afterschool or summer only programs, do not have to complete the 5 clock-hour Early Literacy and Language Development training. CPR and First Aid certification is a requirement for at least one staff member who is on premises at all times during hours of operation for these programs. Please refer to the DCF website for additional information.

What if I want to use my own developed curriculum?
The Office of Early Learning will review all curricula materials. For Voluntary Prekindergarten providers, you can easily implement your choice of curriculum as long as you are not a Provider on Probation (POP) who selected “Curriculum” in your Improvement Plan. If you are a POP who selected “Curriculum” in your Improvement Plan, you will have to select and purchase an approved VPK Curriculum. To choose from the list of approved Voluntary Prekindergarten curriculum visit: http://www.floridaearlylearning.com/vpk/vpk-providers/vpk-curriculum.
Is the parent fee included in my daily rate?

Unfortunately parent fees are not including the daily rate.

What if my weekly rate and daily rate are different?

This is very likely to happen. For your School Readiness or CSC Scholarship contract, you will want to take your weekly rate and divide it by 5 to determine your weekly rate. If you have additional questions regarding the rates please contact a Provider Specialist for assistance. 

Is the max rate staying the same?

At this time the maximum rate is not changing. We will be sure to notify you if there is any change. 

Define "unusual incident"

According to your contract, a usual incident is described as any event involving the health and the safety of a child while in the provider’s care and/or any incident that may cause a disruption in the provider’s operation. 

What happens if the parent doesn't pay the parent fee? What if they don't want to pay the difference in tuition?

The parent’s fee is designated by the Florida Administrative Code as a requirement for receiving services unless waived. In the event that a parent does not honor the obligation to pay the parent fee, it will be difficult to transfer your child to a different center. 

What is ELC going to do to ensure that the parent pays the tuition difference and the parent fee?

The Early Learning Coalition of the Emerald Coast will ensure that all parents during enrollment and eligibility receive complete information regarding parent fees and the possibility of a tuition difference. We encourage all providers to provide the details of the difference of tuition prior to enrollment. You can always refer back to your contact, where the information is listed under paragraph 44 of your contract. 

What does additional insured mean on the liability certificate and how do I update that?

ELC has additional coverage if there is any issue that results in a claim of liability. You should contract your insurance for validation.